I think when we hear the word ‘meatloaf’ most of us don’t get excited. We think, dry, uninspiring and not our first choice for dinner. Well this recipe is just the opposite. We promise a moist slice of turkey heaven! Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed 😉 Ever wonder why we are always using quinoa in our recipes? Check out http://healthnfitnesshops.com/7-health-benefits-of-quinoa.html/ for a full run down of the health benefits of this super food!
Tasty Turkey Quinoa Loaf (8)
1/2 cup quinoa (raw)
1 cup of water
2lb extra lean ground turkey
1 egg + 3 egg whites
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp +1 tbsp tomato paste
1-2 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp +1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp coconut oil
1) Set the oven to 375 degrees. Put quinoa and water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil (uncovered). Once boiling reduce heat to med-low and simmer for about 15 mins or until all liquid absorbed by the quinoa, then let cool.
2) Saute the onions and garlic in a pan with 1 tsp coconut oil until translucent then set aside to cool.
3) Put the turkey, egg, egg whites, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, parsley, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix to combine. Add in the quinoa and onion mixture (once cooled) and mix thoroughly.
4) Line your baking tray with parchment paper then form your mixture into a loaf shape on the pan (the mixture will be quite sticky)
5) Combine the 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce with 1 tbsp of tomato paste and 1 tbsp of water. Once mixed, brush over the top of the loaf. Then set in the oven and bake for about 50 mins or until the middle is no longer pink. Let sit about 10 mins before slicing.
Serve with sweet potato spinach mash and a few tbsp of organic salsa for a balanced healthy mid week meal!
Macronutrient Breakdown (1 slice):