In need of a midweek dinner showstopper? If you can’t get away to Mexico this winter our Mexican Chicken & Quinoa Casserole is the next best thing! This winter warmer will be a permanent fixture in our house! Ever wonder why we are always using quinoa in our recipes? Check out http://healthnfitnesshops.com/7-health-benefits-of-quinoa.html/ for a full run down of the health benefits of this super food!
Mexican Chicken & Quinoa Casserole (makes 8 large portions):
2lb extra lean ground chicken
1.5 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup corn (frozen)
1 cup black beans (rinsed, cooked)
4 cloves minced garlic
1 large onion diced
1 cup water
1 cup enchilada sauce (easy recipe-cook 1 can crushed tomatoes combined with 1 tsp each of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano, plus 2 tbsp chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste; cooked over low heat for 5 mins)
1/2 large can of diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa
4 tbsp Mexican chilli powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp+ red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Mexican cheese (or cheese of your choice)
2-4 jalapeños chopped (optional)
5 green onions chopped (optional)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
salt and pepper (to taste)
1) Make the enchilada sauce and reserve.
2) Cook the ground chicken in a pan until no longer pink then transfer to the slow cooker.
3) Add in the rinsed quinoa, salsa, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, onion, garlic, all herbs/spices, water, enchilada sauce, and jalapeño (optional). Stir to combine then cook on high, covered, for 2.5-3hrs.
4) Once all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5) Uncover and top with cheese, then put lid on just long enough for the cheese to melt, top with green onions (optional) and sprinkle with cilantro (optional). Enjoy on a bed of spinach, in a lettuce wrap or on its own for a delicious, hearty, macro friendly meal!
Macronutrient Breakdown (per serving):